.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Hazzn's Tish

Or: A Cantorial Student's Dispatches from his Outpost in Manhattan

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

It's funny . . .

I have a way of coming up with ideas that would greatly benefit causes I don't support. The most extreme example of late has been the realization that, if I were a member of al-Qa`ida, I know exactly what I would do to New York City. (No, I'm not putting it in print. I'm pretty sure they got the idea for the 9/11 attacks from previously published material.)

Anyway, if I were in the Rebuild the Temple Right Now camp, I think I could put together a killer ad campaign centered around the last line of the first stanza of Ma`oz Tzur, a song for which Israelis, and Jews in general, hold near-universal affection. The line reads אז אגמור בשיר מזמור חנוכת המזבח — "then shall I complete, with a musical psalm [probably Psalm 30], the dedication of the [sacrificial] alter."

Now I just have to hope that they don't read this.

2 Comments:

Blogger elf said...

Maoz Tsur is unavoidable. It really bothers me.

BTW, Lawrence, DH is constantly coming up with plans for terrorist attacks, etc. You guys should talk.

On second thought, don't.

Wednesday, December 15, 2004 12:01:00 AM  
Blogger fleurdelis28 said...

In day school I learned a pretty long song (at least seven verses, I think), with English verses describing various threats and triumphs of Jewish history, and the first verse of Ma`oz Tzur serving as the chorus. The only lines I now remember are "Tza'hal sends a Mercedes-Benz, and we sing benedictions," which puzzled me no end at the time. (The entire song puzzles me now, for different reasons.)

Wednesday, January 19, 2005 5:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home